From the article: The 30 (or So) Scariest Ghost Movies
Are there any ghost movies that I missed in my list? Which movies do you think are the scariest? What are your top films?
- I think Paranormal Entity was very scary. Forget Paranormal Activity. Also, it's on Netflix. Watch it on your laptop, with the lights out and headphones plugged in... For real.
- —Guest Droidy
- Session 9 is a highly under rated gem, genuinely creepy throughout.I still love The Amityville Horror,the scene on the stairs were it stops!Classic.
- —Guest Johnny C
The Woman in Black
- Movies usually don't scare me, but that movie gave me chills. Also, a lot of parts that will make you jump.
- —Guest MaryannMassacre
- just seen this the other day, youve got to endure the entire movie.. then rate it yourself
- —Guest wildsage
The Ring of course always
- Last evening I was standing for a while in the darkest corner of my balcony -dumbstruck with my eyes completely gouged out in fear. Just few minutes before, Se7en had ended on my personal 21″ big screen. I was almost to give this superbly twisted creepy psychological slasher stuff the No. 1 spot, if there was not one The Ring.Few months back, I was almost on the verge of destroying the same TV set after that bizarre demon from the hell had been cast with all its Stygian gloom looming large on my blue screen. It was something more than scary. It was eerie to watch that demonic girl Samara Morgan popping out of the well…then coming towards the screen tiptoeing weirdly with that bizarre never-heard-before humming, that too on a TV screen , that means she was coming towards you actually…then crawled out of your set leering through her long black tresses…also that disturbing video tape careening ominously on the screen…down with Hideo Nakata for importing this completely outlandish alien id
- —Guest sb
Ghost movies in hotels
- Hotels are naturally scary. I'm shocked 1408 and Echo is not on the list. Scary.:)
- —Guest Heatblast
A couple of good ones
- The woman in black should have definately made the list, great ghost flick. The Haunted is alright and The Watcher in the Woods, pretty creepy for a Disney film. I saw it when I was a kid so it may not be as good as I remembered.
- —Guest Dinky
The Shining - WHY!?!
- I recognize Kubrick's talent and artistry with a camera, but The Shining was not only a horrible interpretation of King's novel but a terrible horror movie in its own right. This movie is so overrated, and I think it's sad that it gets to the top of everyon's horror movie list just because of the Kubrick name. There are some other titles on this list that I haven't seen yet. It's always good to get fresh recommendations, Al Fino del Espectro and The Baby's Room are films I'm especially interested in. +1 for The Haunting of Hell House, too.
- —Guest Greg
- the exorcist is the biggest load of rubbish i have ever seen i laughed so much worst unscary movie yet
- —Guest alex thomas
- Event Horizon! and the haunting in Connecticut. the changeling and the others are hugely overrated. bored me to tears.
- —Guest Andrew
left one out
- The Changeling 1980... really really scary in a subtle way
- —Guest tamkk
I agree with the #1 selected
- The shining is the greatest!. The book is even better, but they did a good job on the movie
- —Guest patrick logsdon
- The Ghost Story; The Other (rarely remembered or shown); The Shining; Holloween; House on Haunted Hill (original); Jeepers Creepers; The Ring; Tales from The Hood; Alien; The Thing (both versions); Psycho; The Pit and The Pendulum
"The Ring" Tops My List of Ghost Movies
- I had to race to the top of this list to be sure that "The Ring" had a good place on it. #4 isn't bad, but I would have put it at #1. I saw it in the movie theater during the week in the afternoon, and my husband and I were the only ones in the theater. When it ended, I was so scared that I refused to move until the lights came up. I tried to watch the Japanese original, but was too frightened to see it again! I loved it, but boy did it scare me! :D
- the original Woman in Black is a very understated and scary film that i would recommend to any fan of Gothic horror and the true final scare - the new one looks like its been ramped up to 11 and may lack some ambience
- —Guest Shylock
1-15 of 45Next