As those of you genre fans who diligently track the new offerings on Netflix's streaming service know, the site can go for several days with nary a new horror addition, while at other times, it might drop a dozen or more fright flicks in a single day. Luckily, this is one of those busy times. Here are some highlights of the outstanding selection of new horror movies Netflix is streaming, with the company's official synopses.
- Acolytes: After stumbling upon a freshly buried body and learning the murderer's identity, three high school students -- believing the killer can take out a bully who ruined their lives -- elect to blackmail the perpetrator in this taut thriller.
- Captain Kronos: Vampire Hunter: Former military man Captain Kronos (Horst Janson) is bent on revenge; vampires abducted his wife and child, and now it's payback time. Having recruited the vampire expert Professor Grost (John Cater), Kronos is ready to hunt down the bloodsuckers at all costs. Their destination? A small village in England where the evil creatures of the night are sucking the youth -- not just the blood -- out of their prey.
- Children of the Corn: Genesis: When their car breaks down in the middle of the desert, an expectant couple reluctantly takes shelter inside a ramshackle compound, where an unhinged "preacher" and his mail-order bride are involved in a curious side project.
- Chop: After accepting a ride when his car breaks down, Lance finds himself tortured by a man from his past he can't remember who holds a grudge for events Lance has forgotten. Now Lance must choose between saving the life of his brother or his wife.
- The Clinic: This horror tale begins with a young engaged couple driving through the Australian outback on Christmas Eve, then morphs into the proverbial small-town nightmare when the pregnant fiancée disappears -- leading to much, much worse.
- Devil's Playground: When an experimental drug turns 30,000 test subjects into zombies, ex-mercenary Cole seeks the one unaffected woman, hoping she's the key to a cure. As the contagion expands, Cole becomes infected himself, and the hunt becomes personal.
- Grapes of Death: The horrific underbelly of the winemaking business is exposed in this ghoulish thriller. After disembarking from her train, Élisabeth (Marie Georges Pascal) stumbles upon a bucolic vineyard in a small town and decides to spend a few days exploring the countryside. Soon, however, her idyll turns into a nightmare when she finds out that a pesticide applied to the local harvest contains chemicals that turn whoever drinks the wine into the undead.
- Hellraiser: Revelations: In this ninth installment of the Hellraiser franchise, two friends discover a puzzle box in Mexico, which opens a gateway to Hell. Before long, dermatological nightmare Pinhead has returned to make the lives of everyone in his way miserable.
- The Human Centipede 2: Full Sequence: A disturbed loner is so obsessed with the shocking horror film The Human Centipede that he decides to replicate the movie's grisly experiment. In this metasequel, the stakes are raised as 12 unlucky souls endure surgical hell.
- Mum & Dad: Polish immigrant Lena accepts a ride with her cheerful co-worker Birdie -- only to find herself knocked unconscious and imprisoned by a deranged family of murderers. Now Lena must find a way to appease the demented clan or suffer an agonizing death.
- Pet Sematary: Dr. Louis Creed's (Dale Midkiff) family moves into the country house of their dreams and discover a pet cemetery at the back of their property. The cursed burial ground deep in the woods brings the dead back to life -- with "minor" problems. At first, only the family's cat makes the return trip, but an accident forces a heartbroken father to contemplate the unthinkable in director Mary Lambert's horror film based on a novel by Stephen King.
- Pet Sematary 2: Having moved to a different town to start a new life, 13-year-old Jeff and his new friend Drew discover a strange Indian burial ground. After burying Drew's dog in the cemetery, they realize they've unleashed a deadly evil that can't be stopped.
- Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale: In the frozen beauty of Finland, local reindeer herders race against the clock to capture an ancient evil: Santa Claus. A single dad and his son are caught up in the chaos as scientists dig for artifacts. What they find endangers the entire village.
- Saint Nick: In this yuletide gorefest, jolly St. Nick gets a dark makeover as a sinister medieval cleric who returns to Amsterdam's snowy streets to avenge his death by killing innocent children. Can a high school student and a disgraced cop stop the rampage?
- Salvage: After washing ashore in a metal shipping container, a mysterious monster begins tormenting the residents of a small community. Despite a mandated quarantine, single mother Beth courageously leaves her home to find and protect her teenage daughter.
- Tony: Solitary Tony lives on the line between society and sanity: Mostly he's home alone, cultivating a taste for 1980s action flicks, and when social interaction arises, murder is his solution to an awkward moment.
- Undocumented: As five idealistic graduate students are shooting a documentary about illegal immigrants crossing the U.S.-Mexico border, they're confronted by a sadistic band of American vigilantes who give the young filmmakers' movie a surprising twist.